Friday, January 22, 2010

Week One: Check

This was a short week that ended in one ridiculously long day. But before I get in to that a quick recap of yesterday is in order.

I showed at 8:30, almost on the dot. There were a couple reminders left by Bill that it was almost Friday (personally I think he was more excited about it than I was) they made me laugh a little. I wrote out my in-service, again, in a more detailed fashion and then waited for my actual preceptor to arrive so I could get my theme meal menu approved. And then I continued to wait and wait and wait. Finally, at around 11 Bill suggested I text the preceptor find out where he was. He responded that he had a flat tire and would be in shortly. Apparently 'shortly' to him mean showing up at 12:30 when everyone is going on lunch. Now this wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that I couldn't do anything else until he had approved my menu. Now I know what you're thinking (or at least this is what I would be thinking if I were you), "Why didn't you get it to him the day before if it was so important?" Well I'll tell you, because he wasn't there the day before! I've seen my preceptor maybe a total of four hours since I started and any thing I've actually needed help with I have to go to my non-preceptor (Bill)which makes me feel bad because it really isn't his job. I'm fairly good at being an independent worker but there are things that require my preceptor to check so I would really like it if he were available when he is supposed to be. But i can't change things and I'm not taking it personally so oh well.

What will be interesting is next week when 2 undergrads from the program at my school come in to do field experience. One is supposed to follow my preceptor (good luck) and the other is supposed to follow the non-preceptor (who isn't looking forward to it from what I can tell). Both the preceptor and non-preceptor informed me separately, and I think without the knowledge that the other one did the same thing, that I may be getting a buddy next week who can help me out with stuff. I barely do anything to begin with and I don't remember signing on to baby-sit. I'm trying to be optimistic and hoping that it will turn out to be a good thing.

On to today. I guess I can some it up in a few words, paperwork and waiting (that was only 2, I'm awesome). Thanks to a wonderful new policy at one of the hospitals we had to go in and fill out paperwork that we've already done, that part took like 2 hours. Then we had to go get yet another drug screen done, which took about an hour and the guy collecting samples was really uncomfortably awkward. We took a break for lunch after that at Darrell's, it's like a bar/sandwich place, it was pretty tasty. After lunch we had to go back to get yet another ppd skin test done (for the record this is my third one since the beginning of January). And of course none of these places (which are all supposed to be part of the same hospital) were inconveniently located in the most random spots. At least the girls were all there, for the most part, so it wasn't completely unbearable.

This weekend I've got to finish the stupid cycle and the extensions because I just want it done. Then I have to go cheer the Saints to victory. I am not in any way, shape, or form a football fan but I've had to learn to tolerate it for my time in Louisiana. I really care about this game though because my theme meal is related to the Super Bowl and the menu sounds more fun if it has Saints related names in it so for the sake of the menu I'm rooting for them.

Until next post, be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment